Whether it be allergy season, or just stress from life & work – I have a couple months when I wake up with headaches almost every day. I don’t want to take ibuprofen every day, so I had to find other, natural ways to relieve the tension and stress & making my own relief bag has done an amazing job at just that. Not to mention, it’s incredibly simple.
The first thing you want to do is purchase a small muslin bag. You can check your local craft store or purchase them in bulk on Amazon. Then it’s as simple as filling it with all the right herbal ingredients. I’ve listed all of them below, all you have to do is choose your favorites, the ones that would work best for your type of pain and inhale deeply whenever it’s needed. These herbal properties can also be used as oils for rubbing on your body or as a bath oil for a relaxing soak.
- Eucalyptus – The most important ingredient in my mind is Eucalyptus. Eucalyptus has been proven to decrease pain and cleanse the body of toxins. It has anti-inflammatory properties and can help with breathing, headaches, tension and pain.
- Peppermint – Peppermint is also used for pain, cold symptoms, and bacterial & viral infections. Peppermint is calming and numbing which makes it perfect for pain and tension.
- Lemon – Lemon oil (really the only way to use lemon in a bag) is always a go-to when cleaning or disinfecting. Whenever I get a whiff of lemon I instantly feel clean and in a better mood. There is a reason for that, it actually has been shown to improve depression and lift your mood.
- Rosemary – Rosemary, to me, is one of the best scents on the planet. I seriously cannot get enough of it. It’s seen to decrease cortisol levels which can cause stress and keep stress at chronic levels.
- Sage- Sage has been used for some time for those with asthma, so it definitely does help people breathe. It also helps with joint pains and lethargy.
- Feverfew – Feverfew is top of the shelf when it comes to headaches and tension. It’s properties have been proven to help with chronic and intense migraines.
I think the best way of making your herbal tension-free bag complete is to combine all or some of these ingredients with a cup or two of scented epsom salt. It gives the bag some softness and only intensifies the scents.